In order to move to Canada, a foreign citizen must apply for a residence permit. There are two types of residence permits which can be obtained in Canada: the temporary and the permanent residence visa, each subject to different conditions. The number of individuals interested in immigrating to Canada has increased substantially in the past few years as the government has enabled various programs through which foreign citizens can relocate here for work purposes if they obtain a residence permit in Canada. Below, our company formation consultants in Canada explain how to obtain a residence permit. We can help those who want to apply for residence permits, as well as those who are interested in setting up a business in Canada.
|Temporary residence permit types||For: temporary work, study, family reunification, etc.|
Time needed to obtain the temporary residence permit (approx.)
|The TPR can be processed in a period of up to 3 months.|
Temporary residence permit validity
The TRP can be issued for a maximum period of 3 years, but the validity will be established on a case to case basis.
|Documents for obtaining temporary residence||
– valid passport,
– documentation attesting that the person’s situation is exceptional – the permit is issued for persons who do not get visas by default (arriving for medical care, documents presenting the person’s criminal record, etc.),
– a completed application form,
– payment of the processing fee.
|Mandatory registrations with state authorities (i.e. with the population/municipality register)||
The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
|Dependents can join the temporary permit holder (Yes/No)||
|Temporary or permanent residency for investment purposes||
Foreigners can obtain a residence permit in Canada (both temporary and permanent) through programs such as Intra-Company Transfer, Start-Up Visa Program or the Entrepreneur Visa.
|Type of investments available for residency purposes||
– investments in innovative businesses,
– investments in existing Canadian companies,
– incorporating a new company in Canada,
– specific investments made at a regional level, following the requirements of the Provincial Investor Immigration Programs.
|Minimum investment amount||
It depends on the investment program route chosen by the foreign investor.
For instance, the Start-Up Program can impose a capital of CAD 75,000 or CAD 200,000, depeding on the investment pathway selected by the investor.
|Minimum temporary residence before applying for permanent residence||
One can obtain a residence permit in Canada issued as a permanent document based on the visa granted.
In some cases, permanent residency can be obtained after 1 year of stay (especially for the investment visa streams).
|Residency for individuals married to a citizen of the country||
The foreign spouse of a Canadian citizen can obtain permanent residency after 3 years of living in Canada.
|Documents for obtaining permanent residence||
Persons can obtain a residence permit in Canada on a permanent basis when submitting the following:
– the passport,
– proof of having sufficient funds,
– marriage certificates (for those arrived here as the spouse of Canadian citizens),
– employment contracts (for those arrived here for employment),
– medical reports,
– birth certificates,
– a police verification report,
– proof or residency, etc.
The citizenship applicant must have received the permanent resident status before applying.
He or she is also required to have a total of 3 years lived in Canada in the last 5 years.
It is also mandatory to show evidence of having payed taxes and of having the required language skills.
|Citizenship after permanent residence||
A person can apply for citizenship after having at least 1,095 days of stay in the country in the last 5 years before the application.
|Dual citizenship permitted (Yes/No)||Yes|
Who can apply for a Canadian residence permit?
The immigration authorities in Canada provide for the following categories of foreign citizens who are eligible for obtaining Canadian residency:
- those who have one or more family members already living in Canada based on temporary or permanent residency;
- those who have obtained an employment contract or a job offer with a Canadian company;
- skilled workers who are in high demand on the labor market in Canada can apply directly for residence permits;
- those who want to invest in Canada can also relocate here based on an ordinary residence permit;
- those who want to move to Canada as self-employees or sole traders can apply for residence permits.
The conditions for obtaining a residence permit in Canada are not different for any of the category of migrants unless they want to relocate here with the purpose of investing or opening companies.
Our company registration agents in Canada can offer more information on the investment options for those who want to take up Canadian residency.
What are the main ways for becoming a permanent resident in Canada in 2023?
The options for becoming a permanent resident in Canada are prescribed by the immigration law applicable here. This opportunity is available for those who want to open a company in Canada and who arrive here mainly for business purposes, but also for those who arrive here for employment opportunities or for studies. Our team of specialists in company registration in Canada have prepared a short presentation on the main possibilities available in this case:
- permanent residency through express entry – this option is available for persons seeking for employment, who are qualified in fields where Canada lacks sufficient personnel;
- permanent residency through business immigration – there, those who want to open a company in Canada or to invest in certain economic fields can apply for various types of visas;
- permanent residency through family reunification programs – those who are related to Canadian permanent residents or Canadian citizens can be sponsored by the said relatives for the purpose of relocating here;
- permanent residency through the Canadian Experience Class – the program aims at helping temporary workers and students in applying for permanent settlement here;
- permanent residency through the Provincial Nominee program – a program available for various categories of persons (businessmen, students, workers, etc.), created at the level of each Canadian province.
If you need, we can also help you with accounting services in Canada. Those who are the holders of a temporary residence permit in Canada must know that, while being temporary residents, various tax obligations can appear due to work related activities and other associated matters. Our team can help you with more details if you need to complete your accounting and tax
Documents for obtaining a residence permit in Canada
The following documents are necessary when applying for a residence permit in Canada:
- the travel documents in original and copies (these must also be accompanied by translated copies);
- the medical certificate issued and a criminal record (only persons with clean criminal records are allowed);
- proof of sufficient funds for self and other family members to sustain (where applicable);
- the permanent residence permit application which must be accompanied by the receipt indicating the payment of the visa fee;
- specific documents based on the reasons for the application will be required from each applicant.
You can also rely on our accountants in Canada for tax registration.
Obtaining a temporary residence permit in Canada in 2023
The easiest way of moving to Canada is by applying for a temporary residence permit. In order to obtain such a permit, a foreign citizen must file an application with the Immigration Authorities. It is important to note that the temporary residence permit does not grant the right to permanently relocate to Canada.
Foreign workers, students, and visitors can apply for temporary residence permits in Canada.
The Canadian temporary residence permit is usually granted based on various inadmissibility grounds which can be explained by our local consultants.
Applying for permanent residency in Canada
One of the most important advantages of moving to Canada as an investor or simple foreign citizen is the fact that he or she can apply directly for permanent residency.
There are six categories of permanent residence permits which can be obtained in Canada. These are:
- the skilled worker category;
- the business class category;
- the provincial nomination category;
- the family immigration category;
- the Quebec-nomination category;
- the international adoption category.
Skilled workers will be admitted to Canada based on their qualifications, experience, language and employment arrangements with a local company.
In order to obtain a permanent residence permit, a foreign worker must pass the scoring test which implies obtaining at least 67 points of the total of 100 points.
The business class category refers to those who want to invest by starting a company in Canada. Our local advisors can offer more information on the options available under this category of permanent residence permit.
The provincial and Quebec-nomination immigration category was created for foreign citizens seeking to relocate to specific provinces or territories in Canada.
Family immigration and international adoption refer to those moving to Canada based on the reunification with family members living in Canada, respectively the possibility of Canadian residents to adopt foreign children who will obtain permanent residency.
Our Canadian company formation advisors can offer more information on the permanent residence requirements applicable in this country. Our team invites you to watch a short video presenting the process of obtaining a residence permit in Canada:
How can a foreigner arrive in Canada for skilled employment?
Employment is one of the main reasons for relocating to Canada. Another important matter for which foreigners arrive here is to open a company in Canada, and the 3rd common reason for relocation is for family reunification.
Because employment is the main way to relocate to this country, the Canadian authorities provide for a wide range of visas and permits created for various types of work. In general, one can obtain a residence permit in Canada for unskilled, skilled or highly skilled employment.
Of course, each category has specific requirements and only persons that can comply with the respective requirements will be able to apply for the programs.
Since Canada is a very well developed economy and one of the most important economies at a global level, it encourages immigration for highly skilled workers. One of the programs created in this sense is the Federal Skilled Worker.
This program is created for those who want to obtain a residence permit in Canada on a permanent basis if they qualify as highly skilled workforce.
In the list below, you can discover some of the highlights of this program:
- the work experience has to fall under 1 of the National Occupational Classification (NOC), namely the TEER 0, TEER 1, TEER 2 and TEER 3;
- the skilled work experience must have been acquired in the last 10 years prior to applying for a work visa;
- before the application, the applicant must prove that he or she has had 1 year of continuous work activity;
- the 1 year has to account for 1,560 hours of work minimum (or 30 hours per 1 week);
- there are, of course, language requirements – the applicant must prove proficiency in 1 of the 2 official languages in Canada, French or English.
Criteria to comply with for skilled work visa in Canada
It is mandatory to have good results in all 4 categories that are tested for language abilities and these are:
Please know that the language certificates you will provide have to be valid for minimum 2 years and they must also be valid in the day when the applicant will obtain a residence permit in Canada.
Of course, you must know that these obligations can appear for other types of visas. For instance, if you are interested in company formation in Canada, you will be asked to comply with similar language requirements.
Our consultants in company formation in Canada can offer further information concerning the types of certificates you can include in your application file.
The program is established on a point-based system and the current minimum number of points is of 67. The point system evaluates the candidate on the following matters:
- language skills;
- work experience;
- the job offer in Canada;
- capacity to adapt to living here.
You must also know that, in order to pass for this program, you must pass each of the 6 characteristics mentioned above, in the sense that the applicant must meet the minimum conditions required for each category.
The point system is divided as follows:
- for education, an applicant can obtain maximum 25 points;
- for language, maximum 28;
- for work experience, maximum 15 points;
- for age, maximum 12;
- for the employment arrangements in Canada, maximum 20;
- for adaptability, maximum 10.
Please contact our consultants in company registration in Canada if you are interested in learning more about other immigration programs that could result in the issuance of a permanent residence permit.
Our team can provide legal assistance to foreigners who want to relocate here for business, thus you can obtain all the necessary support if you want to complete business immigration procedures.
Are there any travel restrictions in Canada in 2023?
At this moment, international travel rules require simply to follow the immigration procedures.
In 2022, Canada has simplified the conditions to enter the Canadian territory. The rules applied starting with 28 February 2022, and in 2023, foreigners can travel freely to Canada, as long as they have the necessary immigration papers.
With regards to immigration, it must be noted that in 2023, the Canadian authorities want to receive 465,000 persons (for the 2 following years the number of immigrants will slightly increase to 500,000). However, the maximum number of visas for 2023 can increase to 505,000.
Out of these, for 2023, the Canadian authorities want to issue 105,500 visas under the Provincial Nominee Program, while the family visa program is comprised of 106,500 visas. Foreigners who want to relocate here for highly skilled employment can apply for one of the 82,880 visas available in 2023 under the Federal High Skilled Program.
In 2023, the refugee and protected person visa stream will offer 76,305 visas, while the humanitarian stream is comprised of 15,985 visas.
How many foreigners receive permanent residency in Canada per year?
Just like other jurisdictions around the world, Canada has an immigration program that is based on the needs of the local society. Due to the fact that it has an aging society, Canada has steady increased the yearly number of residents it can receive and who will become part of the local society and economy. With regards to those who have received the status of permanent resident in Canada, we present the following:
- in 2018, permanent residency was granted to 320,000 foreign persons;
- in 2019 and 2020, Canada granted the permanent residency to more persons – more exactly, 341,000 per year;
- for the current year, the immigration plan on permanent residency is established at 351,000 persons;
- in 2022, Canada is interested in receiving 361,000 foreigners who will receive the permanent residency;
- for 2021, those who want to open a company in Canadamust know that the maximum number of persons who can receive permanent residency for business purposes is capped at 750 and the same value is maintained for 2022 as well;
- in 2021, the express entry pathway has the highest number of possible admissions, of 91,150 persons.
Each year, the Canadian authorities issue a different number of visas and residence permits, and this total number of visas is adjusted to the needs of the country, the demand, etc. In 2023, Canada plans to issue permanent residence visas to a total of 465,000 persons.
This is the target number the Canadians authorities wish to achieve, however the values can increase to a maximum 505,000. In 2 years, the numbers can increase to 500,000. Permanent visas can be issued for 4 different streams.
The 1st is the economic stream, the 2nd is the family stream, the 3rd is the refugee and protected persons visas, and the 4th is the humanitarian stream. The highest number of permanent visas to be issued in 2023 is in the economic stream, which accounts for a total of 226,210 visas.
For complete information or assistance in obtaining a Canadian residence permit, please contact us.