The number of individuals interested in immigrating to Canada has increased substantially in the past few years as the government has enabled various programs through which foreign citizens can relocate here for work purposes.
In order to move to Canada, a foreign citizen must apply for a residence permit. There are two types of residence permits which can be obtained in Canada: the temporary and the permanent residence visa, each subject to different conditions.
Below, our company formation consultants in Canada explain how to obtain a residence permit. We can help those who want to apply for residence permits, as well as those who are interested in setting up a business in Canada.
Who can apply for a Canadian residence permit?
The immigration authorities in Canada provide for the following categories of foreign citizens who are eligible for obtaining Canadian residency:
- those who have one or more family members already living in Canada based on temporary or permanent residency;
- those who have obtained an employment contract or a job offer with a Canadian company;
- skilled workers who are in high demand on the labor market in Canada can apply directly for residence permits;
- those who want to invest in Canada can also relocate here based on an ordinary residence permit;
- those who want to move to Canada as self-employees or sole traders can apply for residence permits.
The conditions for obtaining a residence permit in Canada are not different for any of the category of migrants unless they want to relocate here with the purpose of investing or opening companies.
Our company registration agents in Canada can offer more information on the investment options for those who want to take up Canadian residency.
Obtaining a temporary residence permit in Canada in 2022
The easiest way of moving to Canada is by applying for a temporary residence permit. In order to obtain such a permit, a foreign citizen must file an application with the Immigration Authorities. It is important to note that the temporary residence permit does not grant the right to permanently relocate to Canada.
Foreign workers, students, and visitors can apply for temporary residence permits in Canada.
The Canadian temporary residence permit is usually granted based on various inadmissibility grounds which can be explained by our local consultants.
Applying for permanent residency in Canada
One of the most important advantages of moving to Canada as an investor or simple foreign citizen is the fact that he or she can apply directly for permanent residency.
There are six categories of permanent residence permits which can be obtained in Canada. These are:
- the skilled worker category;
- the business class category;
- the provincial nomination category;
- the family immigration category;
- the Quebec-nomination category;
- the international adoption category.
Skilled workers will be admitted to Canada based on their qualifications, experience, language and employment arrangements with a local company. In order to obtain a permanent residence permit, a foreign worker must pass the scoring test which implies obtaining at least 67 points of the total of 100 points.
The business class category refers to those who want to invest by starting a company in Canada. Our local advisors can offer more information on the options available under this category of permanent residence permit.
The provincial and Quebec-nomination immigration category was created for foreign citizens seeking to relocate to specific provinces or territories in Canada.
Family immigration and international adoption refer to those moving to Canada based on the reunification with family members living in Canada, respectively the possibility of Canadian residents to adopt foreign children who will obtain permanent residency.
Our Canadian company formation advisors can offer more information on the permanent residence requirements applicable in this country.
Documents for obtaining a residence permit in Canada
The following documents are necessary when applying for a residence permit in Canada:
- the travel documents in original and copies (these must also be accompanied by translated copies);
- the medical certificate issued and a criminal record (only persons with clean criminal records are allowed);
- proof of sufficient funds for self and other family members to sustain (where applicable);
- the permanent residence permit application which must be accompanied by the receipt indicating the payment of the visa fee;
- specific documents based on the reasons for the application will be required from each applicant.
You can also rely on our accountants in Canada for tax registration.
Are there any travel restrictions in Canada in 2022?
Yes. Persons who want to relocate here and to obtain a residence permit had to comply with certain regulations imposed in 2021 as a consequence of Covid-19. Starting with 21st of February 2021, all persons arriving in Canada were required to take a Covid-19 test and pass quarantine requirements, and this procedure was applicable to all persons flying to Canada, regardless of their citizenship or residency.
However, in 2022, Canada has simplified the conditions to enter the Canadian territory. The new rules apply starting with 28 February 2022; thus, foreigners arriving here will no longer have to comply with quaratine requirements; for children with an age below 12 years old, there will be no restrictions that will limit their activities.
For complete information or assistance in obtaining a Canadian residence permit, please contact us.